Emergency and Crisis Services - Formerly ESS

Emergency Crisis Support:

Municipalities are responsible for managing emergencies and disaster responses, but can request assistance from the SPSA when circumstances exceed their capacity.

When a disaster occurs, the first level of responsibility for action falls on citizens and their municipal community. When communities require assistance beyond their resource capacity, they can request support from the Province. Community leaders formally request assistance from the Province through the Saskatchewan Public Service Agency (through their Emergency Service Officer (ESO) and/or Protection Officer (PO).

The SPSA delivers emergency services to communities to provide shelter-in-place including basic necessities. Once a state of emergency is declared and a request for evacuation is made, Emergency Crisis Support is engaged and will ensure individuals have access to basic necessities such as food, shelter, personal items, counseling, and emergency transportation. These services are provided by government staff, Indigenous Service Providers and through a contract with the Canadian Red Cross.

Individuals receive emergency crisis support for up to 60 days from the date of the original disaster. If individuals are not able to return home after 60 days, they may be transitioned to the Provincial Disaster Assistance Program (PDAP).

Contact your local ESO to find out how to prepare your community for any disaster or emergency.

Self-Isolation Programs:

In response to the global COVID-19 Pandemic and risks associated with local transmission in municipal settings, the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency (SPSA), Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA), Ministry of Health (MOH), and Canadian Red Cross (CRC) are collaborating to use local hotels to support a response to COVID-19.

The aim of this initiative is to support those who are required by public health officials to self-isolate due to COVID-19 diagnosis, symptoms, or exposure, but who do not have other means to self-isolate safely and effectively. To receive access to a hotel through this initiative individuals are referred by a public health official: 811, Public Health Nurse, COVID Testing Site, First Nation Health, family doctor, or calling 1-833-551-5501.

The SPSA and SHA have distinct but complimentary roles with respect to this initiative. The SPSA provides for housing, meals and client necessities (e.g., personal products), while the SHA assesses health status and health-related supports. The SPSA also contracts with the CRC to coordinate hotels and provide well-being services.

Did you find what you were looking for on this page?